The FOMO is real, you all! Not just the fear of missing out on getting into trading, but also missing out on the most suitable list of best laptops for trading and traders in 2021.
There’s a first time for everything.
So if you’ve recently put your foot into the trading business, and are confused about which stocks to buy – this guide is not for you. It is for you to grab the laptop which is best fitted for trading.
Before we begin, let’s understand the trader history dynamics a little. To summarize, trading is the exchange of goods and services between two entities. Trade can handle any progress to create wealth in society.
Back in the day, stock traders had to spend hours sitting in front of desktop computers to trade. But times have changed and how! Now possibly anyone can work from anywhere – from the comfort of their home, or while traveling, all thanks to laptops, which can be carried around with ease.
Trading involves calculations, shapes, numbers, and figures. It’s necessary to buy a laptop with the right specifications that satisfy its purpose – in this case, trading.
Now for high-frequency trading, an ideal choice must be a laptop that has a high processing speed, storage space must be decent enough, the screen has adequate size, and the hard drive is spacious. All these features combined together will deliver a smooth trading experience.
For the proper analysis of the market without investing much time for the same, and increased productivity, a high-quality laptop is essential.
Features That Matter:
The loaded specifications in your laptop eventually decide how fast you’ll be able to trade and the type of trading software you can smoothly run. While all the components are vital as a whole, we’ve listed the most important ones to look at in your next buy.
- Performance The performance of a laptop will be determined by the processor and graphics card infused. Although the latest versions might cost a bit, operations will be done as soon as possible. A processor with a minimum of 4 to 6 cores (like the Intel i5 processor) does its job well.
- RAM Make sure to buy a laptop with a future-ready amount of RAM, as it will only enhance the performance. If the device has an extra slot, you can upgrade the RAM later either internally or externally. Look for options with a minimum of 8GB RAM.
- Storage It is important to make note of what type of storage driver is in the laptop. There are two types of hard drives: HDD and SSD. An SSD is more preferred to be the primary storage drive as it has less boot-up speed and provides information quickly.
- Screen Size The screen size must be decent because most of your work is going to revolve around analyzing the graph well. A touch screen laptop is also a good choice as it provides a good battery life and portability as well.
- Battery Life For the work to continue for longer durations of time, battery life is an important aspect. A good battery backup like that of a minimum of 8 hours will help you sustain and improve task productivity.
Let’s get started with which laptops are cut for trading!
Acer Aspire 5
- Processor- 3.6 GHz core_i5
- RAM- 8 GB DDR4
- Memory Speed- 3.6 GHz
- Hard Drive- Flash Memory Solid State
- Graphics Coprocessor- Integrated
- Chipset Brand- Intel
- Number of USB 2.0 Ports- 1
- Number of USB 3.0 Ports- 2
- Average Battery Life- 8 Hours
Acer Aspire 5 is the cheapest, that is, the most budget-friendly laptop on our list for trading purposes. It is a staple laptop with an uncomplicated design.
The device is very beginner-friendly, and the simple looks with the combination of lots of ports and good audio make it a viable laptop.
Display: The Aspire 5’s 15.6-inch display isn’t underwhelming as such, in fact, it offers a full HD display with good color saturation, and above-average color reproduction to deliver a smooth viewing experience.
The minimal black bezels surrounding the display are the first thing your eye catches. The fully backlit keyboard and ample amount of palm rest give a general comfort to work on this laptop.
CPU and GPU: Featuring a 1-GHz Intel Core i5-1035G1 processor, combined with the Intel UHD Graphics GPU, make the Aspire 5 capable of handling all basic trading work with ease.
Although the integrated GPU isn’t recommended for intense gaming, graphics-intensive trading software works just well in this case for beginners.
RAM and Storage Space: It contains 8GB DDR4 RAM, which is pretty basic. You can later upgrade the RAM to 16GB for better performance.
And the 256GB NVMe SSD might seem less for storage capacity, but is decent enough in terms of speed and handling a good amount of data and programs.
Wireless Capabilities: The Aspire 5 doesn’t disappoint in terms of its port arrangement. The system features a USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 port with two USB 3.1 Type-A Gen 1 ports, a USB 2.0 port, an HDMI 2.0 port, a microSD card reader, an Ethernet port, a Kensington lock and jacks for a headset and power.
Battery Life: The battery of Acer Aspire 5 lasts for 8 hours, which is decent considering its price point and other justified features. The device weighs about 3.7 lbs, which is reasonable in terms of portability.
- A healthy amount of ports
- Average Performance
- Sloppy keyboard
HP Pavilion 15
- Processor- 4.7 GHz core_i7_family
- RAM- 16 GB DDR4
- Hard Drive- SSD
- Card Description- Integrated
- Wireless Type- Bluetooth, 802.11ax
- Average Battery Life- 8 Hours
HP laptops are more inclined towards home usage and multimedia. Though the laptop isn’t necessarily the most affordable, it has a large screen size and high-specification hardware which can be a good choice for your next buy.
Display: The Pavilion 15 has a 15.6-inch screen size, with Full HD IPS micro-edge display. The screen is very thin, and given the laptop’s plastic-cased build, it’s stiffer than expected.
The glass front is absent, which is why the screen is well-placed inside. This may affect the usage of touchscreen, but it can be overlooked for the remaining features.
CPU and GPU: The device features an 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, is a quad-core processor, with multiple technologies such as HyperThreading, TurboBoost, and Virtualization. It provides instant response and quick connectivity for advanced users.
The laptop also has impressive graphics – with the Intel Iris Xe Graphics, it delivers a new level of graphics performance which includes stunning visuals.
RAM and Storage Space: HP Pavilion provides up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage and experiences an improved level of multitasking with greater bandwidth, courteous to 16GB RAM.
Wireless Capabilities: The HP Pavilion’s port arrangement includes an HDMI port, that ensures no lag or latency issues if you’re connected to a large external monitor.
It also includes an RJ-45 Ethernet port, 2 USB 3.1 ports, and a USB 3.1 Type-C port for using one of today’s very low-priced external hard drives in a flash.
Battery Life: If anything holds back the performance of this laptop, it’s the battery life. Given the weight of the device, a bulky battery that could last a day’s work effortlessly was expected. The work gets cut short into the 8-hour lasting battery backup. Although it features HP Fast Charge technology which charges the device from 0 to 50% in simply 45 minutes.
- Decent Desing
- Comfortable touchscreen
- Battery life could be better
- No dedicated graphics card
- Processor- 2.6 GHz core_i7
- RAM- 16 GB SDRAM
- Memory Speed- 4.5 GHz
- Hard Drive- 1536 GB Hybrid
- Chipset Brand- NVIDIA
- Card Description- Dedicated
- Wireless Type- 802.11ac
- Average Battery Life- 5.5 Hours
The Asus ZenBook 15 combines an Intel Comet Lake processor and a better overall ScreenPad technology in a slim, sleek chassis.
Asus is primarily known for creating devices that are a combination of not only a desirable laptop but are also jam-packed with features. The ZenBook 15 is suitable for both day and stock trading.
Display: Asus has managed to incorporate a 15.6-inch Full HD display into a 14-inch chassis.
It also comes along with very narrow bezels, although not as slim as the Dell XPS 13 with its InfinityEdge bezels, but is still very impressive. For traders, it helps that the display looks good.
CPU and GPU: Asus is one of the first companies which gave the users their first taste of Intel’s 10th Gen Comet Lake Processors. The ZenBook 15 features a 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-10510U processor.
The next level from the prior 8th Gen Whisky Lake chips is the 14-nanometer Comet Lake processors, which are better at performance, as much as 16% more than the previous-gen chips, in terms of heavy workloads, and multitasking.
Hence, the best tools and trading software could be run easily via the laptop. Other than that, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU with 4GB VRAM isn’t built for heavy gaming, although it comes in handy for mid-level intensive tasks.
RAM and Storage Space: It contains 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, which is decent for running trading-related software with ease. The Asus ZenBook is equipped with 512GB PCIe NMVe SSD, which has an above-average data transfer rate.
Wireless Capabilities: The device is equipped with a good amount of ports, which can accommodate a variety of external devices and peripherals. On the right, there’s a USB 3.1 Type-A Gen 2 port, a USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 port, HDMI, an SD card reader, and the power jack. And along the left, you get Type-A Gen 2 port and the headset jack.
Battery Life: Expect only improved workflow, thanks to its 10-hour battery backup. Additionally, the Asus Fast Charging Technology allows the device to get charged up to 60% only in 49 minutes.
- Attractive Design
- ScreenPad functionality
- Battery Life
- 10th Gen Comet Lake processor
- The display could be better
Microsoft Surface Pro
- Processor- 1.1 GHz core_i7
- RAM- 16 GB LPDDR4x
- Hard Drive- SSD
- Graphics Coprocessor- Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Chipset Brand- Intel
- Card Description- Integrated
- Average Battery Life- 10.5 Hours
The Microsoft Surface Pro 7 is now quintessential, with the design not being changed since the first model’s release, meant to create a generation of ultraportable, and compact personal computers.
With better performance, it remains the go-to device amongst 2-in-1 detachable.
Display: The Surface Pro’s magnesium-alloy design gives off high quality and sleek look. Though over the years, the design has stayed more or less the same. No major changes have been observed.
The 12.3-inch screen, offering a resolution of 2736×1824 pixels with a refresh rate of 60Hz, is surrounded by thick bezels, which seem a bit outdated keeping in mind today’s standards.
CPU and GPU: The seventh version of the Surface Pro has impressive modern components – the 10th Gen Intel Core i7 processor is another ideal deal for trading purposes, as multiple programs and tasks can be efficiently completed without any trouble.
The ‘G7’ at the end of Core i7-1065G7 is an indicator that the CPU exhibits the company’s Iris Plus integrated graphics subsystem, which makes the Surface Pro viable for light gaming, creative work, and productivity.
These specifications redefine what a thin and light laptop is capable of.
RAM and Storage Space: The Surface Pro 7 offers 16GB RAM which is sufficient as far as trading is considered. And the 256GB SSD handles all the data well.
Wireless Capabilities: The Microsoft Surface Pro 7 includes both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations, and more, as well as accessory charging. It also includes 1 Surface Connect port, 1 Surface Type Cover port, MicroSDXC card reader.
Battery Life: With a typical device usage, the device lasts for up to 10.5 hours, which is favorable to get done with a day’s work on a single charge.
- Includes USB-C
- Battery Life
- No Thunderbolt Support
DELL XPS 13
- Processor- 4.8 GHz core_i7
- RAM- 16 GB LPDDR4
- Memory Speed- 4267 MHz
- Hard Drive- 512 GB ssd
- Graphics Coprocessor- AMD
- Chipset Brand- Intel
- Graphics Card Ram Size- 1 GB
- Wireless Type- Bluetooth
Although the laptop is marketed as a gaming laptop because of the integrated graphics card, from a trader’s point of view a laptop with a QHD display, ensures more screens to be able to view more content.
Display: It is the first thing to notice about this device. The 13.4-inch screen size has a 1920 x 1200 pixels resolution, which comes along with an InfinityEdge touchscreen.
As mentioned earlier, touchscreen laptops are handy to use for stock traders as swiping through different screens constantly is a major part of the job. For better productivity, the display also supports a 10-finger multi-touch.
Hence, tracking of multiple stock investments can be done with ease because everything can be viewed at an instance via graphs, and calculations.
CPU and GPU: The Dell XPS 13 is quite a powerful device that comes along with an 11th generation Intel core i7 processor.
It’s a hexa-core device which means it can run various intensive applications and many other software programs without the system getting slowed down. It is especially a great deal for experienced stockbrokers who are looking for an upgrade from their current system.
Additionally, the Intel Iris Xe Graphics with shared graphics memory, although not designed for hard-core gaming, can easily help you with graphics-intensive stock broking applications.
RAM and storage space: The 16GB of RAM is decent enough to get you through with accessing multiple files at the same time. You may not necessarily need to upgrade it. And the 512GB SSD is more than efficient for data processing.
Wireless Capabilities: XPS 13 is short on ports. The port arrangement features 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports, Wi-Fi 6, and a microSD slot. For using a mouse or external device, you’d need to invest in a USB Type-C hub.
Battery Life: The battery lasts for up to 12 hours, so whether you’re working from home or the outside, the laptop will withstand a day’s work without any doubt.
- Attractive chassis
- Powerful performance
- Battery life
- No bezels
- Lacks legacy ports
Apple MacBook Pro
- Item Weight- 3 pounds
- Manufacturer- Apple Computer
- ASIN- B08N5N6RSS
- Item model number- MYD82LL/A
- Batteries- 1 Lithium Polymer batteries required. (included)
- Date First Available- November 10, 2020
Apple is known for making impressive devices and the MacBook Pro offers features that best suit trading purposes. The sleek-looking laptop does come at a price, but given the specifications, it does justice.
Display: The MacBook Pro has a brilliant Retina Display, which takes the detailing of images onto another level. The text also appears sharp and clear. The LED backlighting helps in producing deep blacks and bright whites.
The display also has a wide color P3 space, which helps in bringing even more vibrant greens and reds as compared to sRGB.
The MacBook Pro also features True Tone Technology, which gives an excellent viewing experience. Furthermore, the FaceTime HD camera with an advanced image signal processor helps in more clear, sharper video calls.
CPU and GPU: It works on the newly designed Apple-M1 chips in CPU processors, which is extremely fast. It delivers a powerful performance that can handle complex and heavy workloads, courteous to its M1 chip, which has integrated custom technologies and industry-leading power efficiency.
The device has a Mac OS operating system. It features an 8-core GPU in M1, which is the best-advanced graphics processor Apple has built to date. All these features make the laptop a viable buy not only for traders but also for general purposes.
Memory: The M1 chip brings up to 16GB of superfast unified memory. This unified memory is used by different apps to share data between CPU, GPU, and the Neural Engine efficiently.
And the 2TB SSD storage delivers exceptional faster performance as compared to traditional HDD.
Wireless Capabilities: With an impressive port arrangement, making connections faster. The device features 2 Thunderbolt/USB4 which helps in speedy data transfer, and Wi-Fi 6.
Battery Life: Apple claims to have a battery life of 20 hours, which is quite impressive. Long trading hours can be dealt with easily because of the significant battery backup.
Item Weight: The laptop weighs only 3 pounds, which makes it very portable. The sleek and light design is very desirable.
Overall, the laptop is suited for trading given its futuristic features.
- Thunderbolt Port
- Battery Life
- M1 chip Processor
- Graphics performance
- Display bezels
General Buyer’s Guide :
What should you keep in mind to buy a laptop suitable for trading?
- Processing Power – The more powerful and updated your laptop’s processor is, the faster it’d be able to complete tasks.
- SSD vs. HDD – SSD is more so of a necessity if you’re looking for faster results.
- Build Quality – This is purely keeping in mind to use the laptop for a longer period of time. Great build quality ensures reliability.
- Battery Life – To get through a trader’s work, the laptop needs to withstand a minimum of 8 hours on a single charge, for continuous maintenance of the workflow.
- Portability – Light-weight laptops are generally easy to carry around.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) :
- What is trading? Trading involves buying and selling of stocks frequently, to create wealth by capitalizing on short-term market events to either sell stocks for profit or buy them at a low. If you’re seriously invested in trading (pun not intended), you’ll realize the importance of owning a performance-driven laptop, that will help in analyzing markets, and also monitor various graphs on different displays.
- How much RAM is necessary for a trading laptop? A minimum of 8GB RAM does the job, however, if you’re not tight on a budget, we’d suggest choosing a device with 16GB RAM for purely better performance.
- Which is the most efficient trading software? There are many trading software available, and while choosing one depends on what type of trading you’re interested in, some prominent ones are E*TRADE which is suitable for both beginners as well as professionals; TD Ameritrade is ideal for resources; and for high-volume traders, Interactive Broker is a reliable software.
We’ve listed laptops from all ranges – cheap to somewhat premium – all of which have promising performance and satisfy the minimum specifications necessary for online trading. You can wisely choose any laptop from the above-mentioned list, but always remember to keep portability and high battery backup in mind while making the decision.
Hey, I am B.E. (Computer Science) student. I love technology, trending topics and always try to put my best knowledge for you. I always research well before review or write anything.